Decolonize Geography : Caribbean
Jamaica - Xaymaca (Taíno-Arawak)
Puerto Rico - Borikén or Borinquen (Taíno, meaning “Land of the Valiant Lord”)
Haiti/Dominican Republic - Haití (Taíno, meaning “Tall Mountain”. term referred to a region located on the island of Hispaniola and may have also been used to refer to the entire island.)
Bahamas - Ba-ha-ma (possible Lucayan origen, meaning ‘large mupper middle land’) or Lucayo (Taíno name for Bahama islands and inhabitants.)
Cuba - Caobana (Taíno, meaning “Great Place”)
Grenada - Camerhogne (Kalinago)
Carriacou - Kayryoüacou or Cariouwacou (Kalinago, meaning ‘Island surrounded by reefs’)
Trinidad - Lëre or Lele (Kalinago meaning ‘Land of the Humingbird’)
Tobago - Tobago (Kalinago)
Barbados - Ichirouganami (Arawak)
Dominica - Wai’tu kubuli (Kalinago, meaning “Tall is her body”)
Martinique - Madinina (Kalinago, meaning “Land of Flowers”)
St. Lucia - Hiwanarau (Kalinago, meaning “Land of the Iguana”)
St. Vincent - Hairoun (Kalinago, meaning “Land of the Blessed”)
Bequia - Becoua (Kalinago, meaning “Land of the Clouds”)
Canouan - Cannouan (Kalinago, meaning “Island of Turtles”)
Anguilla - Malliouhana (Arawak, meaning Arrow-Shaped Sea Serpent)
St. Martin - Soualiga (Arawak, meaning “Land of Salt”)
St. Barths - Ouanalao (Arawak)
Saba - Amonhana (Arawak)
St. Eustatious - Aloi (Arawak)
Saint Crioux - Ay Ay (Taíno)
Saint Kitts - Liamuiga (Kalinago, meaning “Fertile Land”)
Nevis - Oualle (Kalinago)
Montserrat - Alliouagana (Kalinago, meaning “Land of Prickly Bush”)
Barbuda - Wa’omoni (Kalinago)
Antigua - Wadadli (Kalinago, “Land of Fish Oil”)
Redonda - Ocananmanrou (Kalinago)
Guadeloupe - Karukera (Kalinago)
Marie-Galante - Aichi (Kalinago) or Touloukaera (Arawak)
My girlfriend and I are paleontologists, and we really love Jurassic Park.
On June 02, 2012, I surprised her with a secret trip to the fictional “Snakewater, Montana,” which was the original filming location for the excavation scene at the beginning of Jurassic Park.
On a very windy day, I coaxed her into reenacting the “annoying kid” scene on camera, which was really the beginning of my proposal…she had no idea.
Coming soon: Jurassic Park, The Wedding.
Developing: Gunman Kills 12 At Colorado Dark Knight Rises Premiere [UPDATED]: A masked gunman identified as 24-year-old James Holmes, armed with a rifle, a shotgun, and two handguns, entered a movie theater outside Denver, CO, this morning just minutes after the 12:05 a.m. premiere of The Dark Knight Rises began, killing at least 12 people and wounding at least 71.
A witness said Holmes entered the Aurora theater through the emergency exit, “threw a canister across the theater,” unleashing gas, “then started shooting.” Another witness said movie-goers were confused when the shooting started because they thought the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie.
Witness Christ Jones told Denver ABC affiliate KMGH:
We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant. I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two.
Another witness said, “He looked so calm when he did it.”
Holmes, was arrested outside the theater. A search of his apartment is under way; officials say it is “booby-trapped” with “very sophisticated” explosives and they could be there “for hours or days.” Five nearby buildings have been evacuated.
Holmes had no history with police other than a speeding ticket. He went to high school in San Diego; he was studying for a Ph.D. in neuroscience at the University of Colorado Denver but withdrew last month.
Here’s what we know:
- Warner Bros. has canceled the Paris premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.
- Holmes’ mother told ABC News: ”You have the right person. I need to call the police… I need to fly out to Colorado.”
- President Obama has called for a national day of reflection: ”Such violence, such evil is senseless. It is beyond reason… There are going to be other days for politics. This is a day for prayer and reflection.”
- Obama and Romney have pulled their negative ads from Colorado airwaves.
- The Denver Post has video from the aftermath of the shooting; Fox News has the 911 calls.
- Among those killed was Jessica Redfield, who had blogged recently about her narrow escape from a shooting in Toronto.
- ABC is apologizing after correspondent Brian Ross incorrectly linked the shooter to the Tea Party.
BAMF of the Day: Emile Leray was driving through the Moroccan desert in 1993 when his Citroën car broke down. Stranded, Leray considered his options — and walking back to civilization was not among them. “I could not have gone back on foot — it was too far,” he says.
Luckily, the Frenchman was an electrician by trade, so he decided to MacGyver his car into a motorcycle:
I put myself in what one calls survival mode. I ate less; I monitored my supplies of water and of food to make them last as long as possible.
Twelve days later, Leray managed to escape the scorching African desert on his jury rigged bike, brilliantly engineered from the remains of his car.
He only recently began sharing his story of survival.
This & That:
- A slideshow of the aftermath.
- Three guys died in the theater taking bullets for their girlfriends.
- A fight broke out in a Pennsylvania screening of The Dark Knight Rises, and freaked movie-goers fled for the exits.
- Dark Knight Rises box office figures have been released.
- RIP: Oscar-winning screenwriter Frank Pierson, who wrote the best line in Cool Hand Luke.
- A terminally ill 20-something’s YouTube request to meet Katy Perry will be granted.
- From Deadspin: A collection of totally reasonable and justified reactions to the NCAA’s punishment of Penn State.
- Old Spice’s latest ad is Olympic-inspired, and ridiculous, and good.
- A man wrote his own song, “Mitt Romney: A Hero In My Mind,” to protest YouTube’s blocking of a Romney ad for copyright infringement. Hilarious and horrific.
Look At This:
- The local newspaper ad that recognizes a man for pleasing 15 women in one day.
- Oh, the Hipster Olympics. So ironic.
Tea Time Tumblr: Frustrated Journalist Cat
Tea Time List: The Reading Lists Of Your Favorite Fictional Characters
Syrian Uprising Account of the Day: Know Your Meme user X-singular has been providing a daring first-hand account of the escalating bloody violence between the Syrian Armed Forces and the Free Syrian Army.
The words, pictures and video (some Not Safe For Work) are a harrowing glimpse into a conflict which has seen a daily body count into the hundreds, and sent thousands of refugees fleeing towards friendlier borders.
Hip Hop Tina Fey of the Day: Donald Glover, AKA Childish Gambino, has put together a free mixtape, dubbedRoyalty, that released on Wednesday. One of the coolest parts is the song Real Estate, featuring Alley Boy, Swank, and Tina Fey. Yes, you read that correctly.
Considering they both worked on 30 Rock, it’s not too much of a stretch for Glover to recruit Fey, but her effort is still nothing short of admirable. Tina drops the rhymes around the 4:55 mark. Language is Not Safe For Work.